Monday, April 6, 2009

Dermatologists, Spa or Aestheticians


I read an article, Face The Truth from The Straits Times – Urban on 3rd April 2009. Find it quite interesting as it between dermatologists versus spa and aestheticians in New York City.

It mentioned that some dermatologists have disbelief that expensive facial such as “oxygen facials” or dizzying array of result-oriented facials provided by spa and aestheticians are not effective as there is no scientific proof.

Whereas the aesthetician argued that dermatologists just downplay the effectiveness of the spa and facial treatment because they do not want their patients consulting the facial salon and dermatologists only strong sell their fillers, Botox or a strong peel that you may not need.

However, dermatologists insist that such filler, Botox or a strong peel would at least erase those wrinkles temporarily, of course.

However, nowadays in Singapore, I believe there are quite a number of aestheticians shop that also house dermatologists.

Nevertheless here are some common techniques that may involve at a facial:

Exfoliation will brighten dull skin – often a problem among those aged 40 and above as the layer of dead cell thickens as one ages – by sloughing off some of the outermost layer.

Microdermabrasion blasts away the dead-cell layer with a wand that either blows crystals or has a rough surface that gently abrades the skin.



Glycolic peels also take away the outermost layer of dead skin, but retinoids – which are chemically related vitamin A and help regulate skin cell growth – should be discontinued four or five days before a peel.


The same is true for salicylic peels, which are good for sun-damaged or acne-prone or aging skin.

Extraction of blackheads unclogs pores but equal pressure must be applied around the blackhead, lest a clogged pore blossom into a pimple.

Recently, I met a friend who just went for ILP session, which costs about S$1,800 for 10 sessions (if I don’t remember wrongly). Found her skin looks real good and radiance and really wonder should I for it too. But I have my reserve for all these treatment as I believe once you start doing it, in order to maintain, you have to continue with the treatment. Or else it will just go back to square one or maybe even worse. Beside that I am also quite concern what the side effects of these treatments are.

Actually I am also thinking is there any method to remove chicken pox markings on my face and its costs and effects. So many concerns!! Anyway now I shall just stick to my basic facial such as cleaning, extraction and exfoliation and daily skin care routine. Maybe when I get older and have no choice, I will go for other options in the market.

No comments:

More food

After my last post, I have been thinking of all those foods that I miss. I also miss my family's weekend walk. Now we tried to stay in m...