Friday, May 22, 2009

Eat Fresh


I don't cook at all but if one day I have my own family, I will like to learn to cook for them. Eating out daily is not really healthy cos most of the time, MSG is added. Plus you will not have any idea the quality of the ingredients and their sources (very very important).

Came across an article on where a chef will usually get her ingredients from. I think no harm knowing all these especially for mummy who will like their kids to eat fresh stuff.

The Best Chicken
Farmed in Malaysia using Japanese techniques, Sakura is antibiotic and growth hormone-free chicken. It's also juicy, tender, silky and very tasty.

Where: NTUC Fairprice. $10 for the whole chicken.

Nuts and Spices
Teck Sang is the place to go to buy nuts and seeds for a good selection at a good price. All spices are kept refrigerated, a bonus in this weather.

Where: Teck Sang No. 11 Hong Kong Street p.6533 1133

From the Farm
There are organic farms here in Singapore such as Greencircle, a biodynamic organic vegetable farm that delivers freshly harvested fruit and veg directly to your home. They have great basil and the best papaya. There is also incredibly tasty fruit and veg grown by Cynthia Hoefer organically in Nepal and flown to Singapore every 2 weeks.


Surf Delivered
For fabulously fresh New Zealand King Salmon that is loaded in omega-3, and incredibly sweet giant Hokkaido scallops, check out Greengrocer.com.sg.

Where: Greengrocer.com.sg p.93253236

Turf Delivered
Vic's Meats is fast getting a name as the place to go for high quality meats. With their succulent steaks and super home delivery service, it's easy to understand why!

Where: Vicsmeats.com.sg p.6753 6900

24 Hour Wholesale
The Pasir Panjang wholesale market is the place to find the freshest products in Singapore as this is their point of entry before being redistributed. We love Zenxin organic at block 14, and the central area block 10 where you can get the freshest mint, eggplant, okra etc...for a fraction of the price!
Where: Block 1-26, Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre. Open Mon-Sat 24hrs

However, I am not sure whether all of them do wholesale or also for individual customer. If you are interested can always email or call to check up with the seller. If they only do bulk selling, can always pool a few friends together.

Think I will go NTUC to check out the best chicken. Of course I will not be buying a whole chicken, maybe selected parts for my maggie noodles. Sound yummy, right!
Another place I will like to go will be the Pasir Panjang wholesale market. I know quite a number of people went there for their marketing. They said the foods there are fresher and cheaper but transportation is a problem. If you don't have a car (like me) then you may difficulties in finding your way there as you need to go there early in the morning like 5 or 6 am.
No matter what, always remember to bring your own shopping bag(s) and ask for less plastic bags when you are doing your marketing. Cheers. Have a good weekend!

No comments:

More food

After my last post, I have been thinking of all those foods that I miss. I also miss my family's weekend walk. Now we tried to stay in m...